When completed, The Headwaters will provide lodging and camping and convenience-based services for the visitors drawn to Glenorchy’s extraordinary beauty and the wide range of recreational activities each year.
Locals, trampers, school groups, families and independent travellers, as well as business and corporate groups, will find an inspiring and diverse range of offerings and services here. The soul of the new buildings will be to reflect the unique character of Glenorchy and educate, inspire and delight, adding dimension and depth to visitors’ experiences.
The Campground will feature native flora and fauna, using green space and organic gardens to create a restful experience and help re-establish the native bird population.
The three-hectare site will feature:
- Mrs Woolly's General Store with products that showcase the best in tramping and overnight supplies, merino wool and outdoor clothing, as well as cool tools and carefully-selected Kiwi gift items
- Camp Glenorchy for affordable shared accommodation, tenting and campervan sites
- Head of the Lake Activities Information Centre to help visitors discover the wide range of things to see and do in the greater Glenorchy area
- Self-contained garden cottages with one to three bedrooms for families and groups
- Community Classroom that doubles as a public theater and meeting space for up to 100 people
- Stone cottage to host small weddings, meetings or special events for up to 25 people
- Two private outdoor hot tubs and a massage cabin
- Commercial kitchen to prepare food for our guests and caterings for special events
- Organic garden and Garden Classroom to support the kitchen and a seasonal farmers market
An engagement process with the community as well as conservation and tourism groups has been gathering input to integrate into the design of The Headwaters accommodations, café and The General Store. Since March 2014, we’ve met with over 400 individuals to hold discussions and ask for input from a variety of sources as we develop the details for the overall project.